NuvaRing is the trade name for a combined hormonal contraceptive vaginal ring manufactured by Merck that is available by prescription. It is a flexible plastic (ethylene-vinyl acetate copolymer) ring that releases a low dose of a progestin and estrogen over three weeks.
However, NuvaRing use has been associated with pulmonary embolism, deep vein thrombosis, stroke, and heart attacks. If you or a loved one is using the NuvaRing contraceptive, read on for facts about the product and the litigation surrounding it.
Facts about NuvaRing:
- There have been numerous reports of serious side effects associated with NuvaRing involving blood clots, some of which have resulted in death. Specifically, NuvaRing has been linked to two types of blood clot related conditions: pulmonary embolism (PE); and deep vein thrombosis (DVT). These blood conditions can cause strokes and heart attacks.
- NuvaRing contains etonogestrel, a metabolite of desogestrel, which has been recognized as a possibly dangerous progestin.
- The elevation in the risk of [venous thromboembolic events among users of low-estrogen formulations containing desogestrel] is greatest in the first year after use is initiated, but an elevated risk persists beyond the first year.
- In March 2008, a lawsuit was filed against the manufacturers, distributors, and marketers of NuvaRing. The plaintiff alleges these companies concealed the health risks associated with using the device, which is claimed to have caused the death of the plaintiff’s wife.
- On August 22, 2008 the Judicial Panel on Multidistrict Litigation (JPMDL) granted a petition filed by plaintiffs and created a NuvaRing multidistrict litigation (MDL).
- Cases in the New Jersey state court system have also been consolidated and are assigned to Judge Martinotti.
If you have used or are using the NuvaRing contraceptive and have suffered a DVT, pulmonary embolism, stroke or heart attack, or you have lost a loved one for one of these reasons, find out how Johnson//Becker PLLC can help you. Fill out our case review form here on our website and submit it for a free consultation.